By the beginning of this 21st century, where the standard of education just keeps on rising and where man wants to touch the boundaries of this sky to that here I am shocked to see the high level indulgence of media in human life today. It is effecting the human minds with a pretty rapid speed and its influence is now so mixed up in our blood and veins that as human life seems to be at a loss or incomplete with out the favor of it.
It is no doubt a highly debatable topic whether the role and impacts of media is positive and constructive towards our society or it is a slow and gradual poisoning of minds polluting agents for our lives.
As we all know that a society and specially our youth are directly influenced by media so in order to get the actual report I conducted a survey on “Impacts of Media On society” which helped me a lot to get a consensus and report on this topic.
A number of things constitute a society. In order to get more concise and accurate results I divided our survey with respect to three things:
- According to age of individual
- According to the designation of individual
- Net results and views of people
MAIN POINTS OF THE SURVEY:
- It has power to speak against wrong things and events of the society.
- A major source of awareness.
- Our world has become a global village with the courtesy of media.
- Exposes many corruption cases and injustices taking place in the society.
- Gives new ideas about the way of living, style, fashion and modernize our culture.
- TV shows and dramas are copying western culture and leaving a very wrong impact and immaterialist culture upon the minds of especially young generation.
- The accessibility to Internet and messaging services has given an un-restricted freedom causing bad cases in the society.
- Its focus is always on the exaggeration of any event regardless of the indulgence of wrong propaganda creating panic in the society.
- News channels creating frustration by making hype of anything.
I concluded the result with respect to three basis. Let’s have a look on them.
ACCORDING TO AGE:
When I concluded the survey report with respect to age of individuals following result was found:
In 18-25 years old people:
- 51% believes that it depends upon the usage of it.
- 40.5% believes that its impacts are destructive
- 8.6% people with a very small ratio believes that media is playing a constructive and positive role.
In 26-40 years old people:
- 29.4% believes that it depends upon how the person uses it
- 47% people votes for the negative impacts of it
- 23.5% people agree with the significant and positive role of it.
In 41-60 years old people:
- 18.18% says that it totally depends upon the usage of it
- 9.09% says that its role is not appropriate or is leading towards destruction
- 72.72% people say that the media is doing a good job and is very positive.
Our youth is not so much inclined towards the favor of media and majority says that it depends upon how individual use it and if one wants to get benefit from it he can on other hand if one want to ruin itself through different ways media would become a source of his destruction but here I noticed a strange behavior when we move upward in the age of people it is noticed that there are more people who are in favor of media and consider it a blessing of science as I found that more than 72% of the people ranging from 41-60 years are in favor of media.
ACCORDING TO DESIGNATION:
When I concluded the survey report with respect to the designation of individuals following result was found:
- 51% says that it depends upon the usage of it.
- 39% says that it is playing a negative role and is a major source of social disorganization in the society.
- 10% students with a small ratio are in the favor of media and say that it is playing a good and marvelous role in the society.
TEACHERS’ AND PROFESSORS’ OPINION:
- 42.85% says that it depends upon the person as se can take benefit from it and in the same time he can go for the wrong thing and bear severe loss.
- 28.5% says that the media’s impacts are positive on the society and is doing a good job.
- 28.5%, with the similar ratio of positive vote of media says that it’s just trying to make more and more money regardless of the fact that they are creating panic and chaos in the society.
- 31% believes that the impact and role of media is not good or bad itself but varies from person to person and largely depends upon how an individual uses it.
- 38% says that they are providing wrong values and customs to our society and specially youth and largely focuses on the negative aspect of every picture.
- 31% believes that it is doing a tremendous job and is a major factor behind the concept of global village of the world.
Majority of the teachers and professors of our society says that a person itself is responsible for the impacts of anything as if he chooses the right path to follow it will definitely lead him towards success but if he chooses wrong path he will face the destruction but some of them believes on the positive role of it and some consider it simply a violating agent of society.
Our working class is not in favor of media and consider that they are just adding wrong concepts and values to our lives and in order to compete other channels even our news are producing violence by creating the hype of any news but some also believes that they are a major source of information and connecting the people all around the world and some believes that the influence and effect of media depends upon the user of it.
When I calculated the overall result of our survey, following result was found:
- 37% people with highest ratio says that the impacts of media are neutral as if the person is intended to get benefits from it, media is helpful and will support the person and the same media can lead a person towards destruction if he uses it for wrong sake and in a wrong way. These days, where mobile messaging service is used to protest against wrong demand of government or any wrong deed so in the meanwhile it is also used to create wrong propaganda in the society and for torturing the people on the name of Islam by wrong messages.
- 34% people with second highest ratio say that the impacts are negative as it is promoting other cultures and violating our youth. Media is just showing the negative aspect of every thing showing only the problems not giving the solutions to these problems and producing a state of anarchy in the society.
- 29% people with least ratio agree to the significance of media and consider it is playing a responsible and fair role in the society and helps the people in so many ways like it gives information to large amount of public and keeps them updated and reveals so many cases of corruption of many reputable persons specially electronic media which causes many illiterate people to get informed about all the circumstances happening in the society.
MY POINT OF VIEW
The media yields great power but do not forget that ‘great power means great responsibility’. This should always be remembered, but these days in the mad race of ‘Breaking News’, the media is sometimes losing its focus and distorting media ethics.
The role of media has become very important in shaping present day society. The print and the electronic media have become a part of one’s daily life. Undoubtedly, media has attained the role of a powerful organ in virtually all spheres of society. In this given scenario, media should have a great responsibility as media without accountability can become a dangerous instrument and can harm the society irreparably. It is said that ‘power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely’. Corruption not in literal sense but presenting news in a twisted manner that suits the channel and misguides the masses in general is also a sort of corruption.
There are numerous advantages of media but there must be some sort of restrictions, which are to be followed by it.
- We must protest against the wrong propaganda of media.
- Instead of blaming others we have to educate our people what is good and bad and what are their circumstances.
- Encourage the positive activities of media.
- Must try to promote our norms and values in society.
- Face the problem and find the solution rather than ignoring it.
- Restrictions to use are not the solution of problem as it creates more curiosity among the people however actual guidance is needed in order to analyze good or bad by her own-self.