At an event in San Francisco on 7 September Apple has unveiled its new flagship iPhones, the release of iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus with dual cameras, new design features and tons of power. Here’s everything you need to know about the iPhone 7 Plus, including iPhone 7 Plus release date, iPhone 7 Plus features, iPhone 7 Plus specs and iPhone 7 Plus price.
iPhone 7 release date: When is the iPhone 7 Plus coming out in the UK?
The iPhone 7 Plus will be available to order from Friday 9 September in the UK and other countries worldwide. Shipping begins on Friday 16 September.
iPhone 7 Plus features: What new features does the iPhone 7 Plus have?
The iPhone 7 Plus boasts a new-to-iPhone dual lens camera sensor that Apple claims is the best yet in any iPhone, and even the iPhone 7 itself missed out on the feature. The other headline upgrades for the iPhone 7 Plus are its water resistance, stereo speakers and claimed longer battery life.
The two 12Mp cameras combine to boast hi-res optical zoom at 2x, a great improvement for casual and professional iPhone photographers alike. The iPhone 7 Plus’ screen is 1920 x 1080 resolution, so no improvement on last year’s iPhone 6s models.
The iPhone 7 Plus is also water resistant to an IP67 standard.
The 16GB model of iPhone is no more, with Apple introducing 32GB as the standard base storage option. The 32GB iPhone will start at £719.
For the first time, the iPhone will be available in five colours, including the new Black variation and Jet Black, a glossy variation that is only available in the 128GB and 256GB options, not the base 32GB.
Orders start Friday 9 September and ships on 16 September, with iOS 10 rolling out on 13 September for all other iOS devices.
Here are all the new features for the iPhone 7 Plus, as numbered by Apple and summarised by us:
- New colours – Jet Black, a high gloss finish model with a stainless steel Apple logo and Black (another new colour) with a black logo
- New Home Button – no longer a physical button but a key with haptic feedback
- Water and dust resistant – IP67 protection standard mean you can’t quite take it for a long swim, as highest protection is IP68
- New camera system – the iPhone 7 camera is improved with optical image stabilisation for the first time on a base iPhone model, but the iPhone 7 Plus boasts a dual lens set up that improves with two 12Mp cameras. One is wide angle, the other is a telephoto lens. These cameras combine to create a zoom feature that works within the tiny body of a smartphone. You have the option to choose between 1x and 2x – 2x gives you the effect of a telephoto lens. This is an optical zoom. You can also touch and drag up to 10x zoom, which is a software based zoom.
- Display improvements – 25% brighter than the iPhone 6 Plus, a wide colour gamut, colour management and the continuation of 3D Touch capabilities
- Audio improvements – the speakers in the iPhone 7 Plus, for the first time, is stereo. One is on the top, the other on the bottom
- EarPods – it was all true as Apple waves goodbye to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Apple will bundle Lightning EarPods with every iPhone 7 and 7 Plus along with a Lightning to mini-port adapter
- Wireless – Apple also announced AirPods, which are wireless versions of Apple’s famous EarPods. They are the same shape as EarPods without wires. They cleverly have Siri integration thanks to inbuilt mics. One charge will give you 5 hours of battery life and the case holds 24 hours of charge for power on the go. The AirPods are clever enough to let you switch between Apple devices depending on which you are using for audio.
- Apple Pay – Japan units of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will now include Felica tech, allowing Japanese Apply Pay users to use the service with Japan’s most used contactless standards
- New A10 Fusion processor – it has four cores, and Apple claims this is 40% faster than the A9 and makes the iPhone 7 Plus the fastest smartphone on the market. Apple claims the A10 Fusion gives the iPhone 7 Plus the longest ever battery life for an iPhone – at least an hour more battery life than the iPhone 6s Plus.
iPhone 7 Plus announced: iPhone 7 Plus specs
Here are the headline specifications for Apple’s new iPhone 7 Plus:
Retina HD display
5.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit widescreen
Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1920×1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi
1300:1 contrast ratio (typical)
Wide colour display (P3)
625 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
Dual-domain pixels for wide viewing angles
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
Rated IP67 under IEC standard 60529
A10 Fusion chip with 64-bit architecture
Embedded M10 motion coprocessor
12MP wide-angle and telephoto cameras
Wide-angle: ƒ/1.8 aperture
Telephoto: ƒ/2.8 aperture
Optical zoom at 2x; digital zoom up to 10x